[Steam-engine] Gauge glass valves

Orrin Iseminger oiseming at moscow.com
Mon Jul 5 15:57:30 PDT 2004

I haven't repaired plug valves used in steam service, but have been
successful using grinding paste on ones used as gasoline shutoff valves.

IMHO, grinding compound used to seat  the valves in IC engines would be too
coarse.  I used 800 grit, only because that was the only thing I had finer
than 180.  I'd guess that anything finer than 400 would work fine.

I like to use strong detergent, hot water and a stiff bristle brush for
cleaning up afterwards.  So far, I've not been bothered with the abrasive
getting embedded in the metal.

If your friends valves have been leaking for a long time, they may be "cut"
and lapping might not work.

I like to put some really stiff Dow-Corning silicone compound on the plug
when reassembling.  Not only does it facilitate easier operation, it helps
seal against leaks.

Orrin

Orrin Iseminger
Colton, Washington, USA