[AT] Cubs

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Sun Jul 4 11:42:50 PDT 2004

The first time I remember seeing wording like you heard George use was
in literature advertising the John Deere L.

As I understand it, part of the rationale for the aliquots of land in
the public survey system containing 40 acres was because this is a much
land as a man with a single team of horses or mules could maintain.
This same amount of land was supposed to be able to sustain the farmer
and his family.  It also just so happens (duh!) that when you divide a
square mile into a checkerboard pattern, each aliquot ends up being 40
acres.  It's kind of a chicken and egg situation.  If none of these
reasons make sense to you, then make up your own story.  :-)

It was nice to travel through Farmer's "greenway" trail last month.  As
I was driving over it in Ol' 191, I was reminded of the way the fields
on the farm where I grew up were broken into smaller patches because
they needed to be "horse size".  And there were a number of large trees
in between the fields and along the fence rows which were absolutely
essential for the welfare of the horses.  That's one of the things
that's missing from Farmer's nature trail -- not enough shade trees at
the edges of the fields.

Now that the farm where I grew up is farmed by modern big machinery, all
the green belts are gone, and so are the trees.  They "got in the road"
of the equipment.

Larry