[AJD] 15-30W question

Merle W. Johnson wjohnson at bigriver.net
Fri Jul 2 18:21:49 PDT 2004

Yes--Any 4 cycle engine.  Back in the 80's there was trouble with Cummins
engines consuming oil on sound engines.  We switched them to 15-40 and dried
them up.  And yes, the reason car manufactures recommend light weight oils is
for fuel economy only.  You won't find it in any car at Indy.n  kAnd be careful
when you say oil is oil.  There is vast differences in many brands of oil.  Some
can pass CD requirements but not CE-CF.  The reason for much of the long life
todays engines enjoy is the better oils now in use.  My vehicles consists of a
'51 Ford with flathead 239, a '98 Ford ranger, a '96 Cougar, an '81 Ford F350
with a 6BT Cummins Diesel,  All have over 100k, all use 15W-40 year round..
Cummins Engine Co has a good bulletin available on oils and characterists.  If
you happen by a distributor, order one.  Well worth the time and money.
Merle