[AT] Parting out tractors - what are your thoughts? long ramble reply

pga2 at hot1.net pga2 at hot1.net
Fri Jul 2 07:53:45 PDT 2004

I think the IRS codes have helped push us in that direction, too. When you could
deduct the interest you paid on those types of loans, it seemed to me that folks
kept vehicles longer. Cars today are too expensive for me to be buying a new one
before the loan is paid off for several years.
I hate to see restorable tractors (and cars and trucks) sent to the crusher, but the
salvage operators have the right to make a living too.

Phil

> I have a few of those partrs tractors, and I have parted out some and sold
> the parts.
<Snip>
> I remember saturdays and sundays as a kid with the neighbor guys working on
> their cars.  I was always working on mine.  There was someone overhauling or
> rebuilding or something.  Always something mechanical or body work going on in a
> garage.  Then we would get together to sand one down and prep it for paint.
>    Now, saturdays are spent in front of the television watching those 100
> channels of sports.........   No garage doors are open and guys working on
> anything....   Only airconditioners  and lawnmowers running.............   Which
> really ruins the market for older vehicles, trucks, and also tractors.
>
> I hate to say this, but there was a better market when the interest rates
> were higher.....  Now, the public will throw away or trade in trucks and vehicles
> and buy new.   Tractors under 50 hp are also that way here.  Who wants to pay
> $2000 for a 9N FORD when they can buy a new Mahindra with a front end loader
> and a trailer to pull it for $200 down and $150 a month.............    (When
> I am hunting for 3 days for parts for my old junk, sometimes I have to agree
> with the concept.....)

<Snip>