[AT] Allis Chalmers D15 Series II spring

Robby Armstrong rarmstrong37 at comcast.net
Thu Jul 1 11:57:42 PDT 2004

Guys,

I have a D15 Series II and a friend of mine has one too that he is
rebuilding. According to my serial number, mine was made in 1965. My friend
came over to see how a spring that is located in the area behind the side
panels is connected, we removed the panels on my tractor and the spring was
connected to a hole in the top (under the gas tank), but the spring had
rusted in two and the other end was nowhere to be found and we couldn't see
any place it might connect. There is a belt pulley shifter arm in that area
with no hardware attached since neither of us has a belt pulley, the hole in
the end of that lever is the only hole we could see anywhere in the area
behind the side panels. That hole is for a rod to shift the belt pulley if
you have a belt pulley. The spring looks just like Item 1 on page 108 of the
parts catalog. Both of our D15's have the modern choke cable, so that item
can't be it, we don't have all those rods in there at all. Everything that I
use on my tractor has worked all these years without that spring, so we are
both mystified.

Does anyone know where the other end of that spring should connect? And,
what it is used for?

It must have been installed at the factory since both tractors have it and
in both cases the spring had rusted in two.

Thanks,

Robby Armstrong

rarmstrong37 at comcast.net