[AT] Antique tractors go on covered wagons vacation

RJK Sr Farmall at riverview.net
Sun Feb 29 07:43:35 PST 2004

ROLL THOSE WAGONS!: Antique tractors will pull brothers' homemade
covered wagons from Byron Center to McBain

Saturday, February 28, 2004

By Julie Makarewicz The Grand Rapids Press

BYRON TOWNSHIP -- On Monday morning, Gordon and Jerry Diekevers will
pull out onto the roads of Byron Center in antique tractors, but the
brothers won't be traveling to a farm equipment show or to work a field.

 From Our Advertiser

The Farmall tractors will pull homemade covered wagons, and the
Diekevers are taking the scenic route to their family homestead near
McBain.

"We're going to do something different for once," said Gordon "Gord"
Diekevers, 61. "We're going to slow down a little and start living.
That's what it's all about. I bet we'll see a lot of things other people
miss along the way."

It was Jerry Diekevers' idea to try this sort of "vacation."

"We were both practically born and raised on tractors," said Jerry
Diekevers, 62. "I started driving a tractor when I was probably 7 years
old, and the same for Gord. So we've kind of kept them around a little."

He came across an old tractor abandoned in a field while deer hunting
near McBain and finally tracked down the owner last fall. The 1945
International Harvester Super A Farmall cost him $200 and a lot of hours
to restore. Now he wants to show its former owner what it looks like
restored.

Gordon Diekevers restored a 1946 Super C Farmall that he bought about
three years ago.

"So after I got the tractor and got it fixed up, I decided I would like
to take a tractor trip and stay in the covered wagons," Jerry Diekevers
said. "So we built the wagons and put up the tarps, and we're all ready
to go."

Gordon Diekevers cut all the lumber needed for the wagons on a portable
sawmill he owns. The tarps cost about $150 each, the brothers said.

Inside each wagon is a cot, small heater, emergency kits and food
storage. The brothers plan to share a portable stove and eat out in the
open.

The Diekevers say the tractors should be able to average at least 10
mph, and they expect the 130-mile trip up to McBain to take two days.
Then, they plan to spend the week camped in their wagons near a lake for
ice fishing before driving their rigs home again.

The brothers vow that they'll make the trip in snow, rain or sunshine.

"It doesn't matter," Jerry Diekevers said. "If it starts raining too
hard or snowing too bad, we'll just pull over for awhile."

Reflective triangles to alert motorists to the slow-moving vehicles and
small American flags highlight the back of the wagons.

"We're not going to drive at night," Jerry Diekevers said. "We're trying
to stay off some of the major roads and we're going to pull over if we
get a line of cars behind us wanting to pass. We're in no hurry.

"My wife thinks I'm crazy. She doesn't like cold weather, but it doesn't
bother me at all."

But Gord Diekevers' wife, Karen, said she likes the idea.

"They've had a lot of fun working on this project all winter," she said.
"It's kept them busy and out of trouble."

Jerry Diekevers is retired from Steelcase but now works at Green Valley
Agricultural Inc. in the summer. Gord Diekevers turned over his
business, Diekevers Masonry, to his son and now works for him part time.
Jerry Diekevers lives in Byron Township just a little north of his
brother's home in Dorr.

Gord Diekevers said he hopes this will be the first of many trips.

The brothers are already planning a second trip for their wagons to Gun
Lake next year for ice fishing and camping.

But Gord Diekevers has bigger plans: "I'd like to drive up to Ludington
and take the ferry across the lake and drive the tractors down into
Iowa. Now that would be a trip."