[AT] One man baling?

Tom Armstrong toma at risingnet.net
Sat Feb 28 07:29:03 PST 2004

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Robinson wrote:

> 	I have been thinking of trying at least for this year
> of using the old sweep rake I bought a few years ago.
> I made brackets to mount it on the tractor loader and
> that worked decent for loose hay. If I made it an all
> new set of teeth of straight oak it should sweep up
> about 20 bales a trip.

I think what you call a sweep rake is what we call a Buckrake out here.

I think this is the best way to go. Now days anyone who does not use a
harrowbed does it this way around here. One man runs the loader and brings
the bales to the stack. If you have one guy on the stack to set the bales
you could make good time. The guy on the loader could get off and do it.

I think this is what I will do if I ever get going. We have a D2 loader
and an old pipe tooth buckrake. I could load going uphill and back down to
the stack.

I HAVE to start growing hay again. I am going broke feeding these cows at
$12 a bale.

Tom Armstrong  toma at sangregorio.org  San Gregorio, CA  s. 1892
Barnyard Technology--- Ideas for tomorrow -> from yesterday's scrap.
     4th, 5th, 6th generation on family farm. Can Ag Sustain?
                http://www.sangregorio.org/