[AT] Beilers auction and a Magellan GPS

Cecil E Monson cmonson at hvc.rr.com
Fri Feb 27 07:59:18 PST 2004

> Ok Cecil come clean.  What did they GIVE you at Beiler's?
>
> I know you didn't leave there empty handed.  smiles
>
> Charlie

	Thanks for the vote of confidence, Charlie, but yesterday
was the first time I can remember that I did not buy a thing at the
auction except the Show Guide. I was looking for a re-thread kit but
was unsuccessful there. I spotted a half dozen tractors I would have
really liked to have but am glad in a way I didn't bring the trailer.
There were a half dozen Cubs, a very nice D-12 Allis, and a great
TD-8 International crawler. A very nice crawler. I overheard someone
say it was going to be his if it went for around $4K. I laughed and
wondered what it really brought. I was guessing that it would have
to go for $6K or better. Oh yes, and there were several decent Oliver
tractors, some Fords with the big round medallion on the front of the
hood and a decent Farmall A. Lots of parts tractors. The auction
grounds were a typical sea of mud when we got there Wednesday PM but
by Thursday morning the whole area was froze solid all the way down
and walking was not too bad if uneven ground didn't bother you. Lots
of horsedrawn farm machinery as usual and lots of lawn and garden
stuff. I saw several Wisconsin V-4 engines and some other power units.
I looked in the wagons that are always there but saw nothing I had to
have. Either my hearing has gotten worse or the auctioneers have
figured a way to chant so you can't pick up the current bid price.
I hate to bid against someone without knowing what the price is. Too
easy to spend the beer money that way.

	Lucille was along for the trip but spent her time shopping in
the local department stores - Goods and some other place she likes. I
noticed she didn't have any trouble spending her money. ;-(

	We stopped at the big new Cabelas store in Hamburg, PA on the
way down and returned a Garmin GPS unit we bought a while back. It
might have been a good GPS unit for all I know but we just didn't like
the way it worked and thought it could have been not only a lot easier
to use but more detailed as far as the presentation was concerned. I
looked at the others they had - especially the Sportrak Color - but was not
impressed with it either. The salesman at the counter showed me what he
thought was the best one - a Magellan Meridian Platinum. Less money than
the Garmin but packed with features including the ability to boot the
memory up into the 1 GB range. Another customer stopped me in the aisle
as I was walking away while trying to make up my mind if I wanted any
of them and suggested that the salesman was right about the Meridian
unit. He explained that he had one and how easy it was to use. We must
have spent 20 minutes talking about using it. Well, the upshot was, I
thought about it while I went up and had a cup of coffee and went back
and bought it. We played with it on the way home and are very happy with
it. I know others of you have Magellan GPS units and can see why. I am
about to order a 256 MB card from Tiger Direct so I can use some of the
expanded capabilities of it.

	Other than that, the only stops we made were at the Harbor Freight
store in Reading, PA and a couple hours at the VF outlet mall for Lucille.
Oh yes, and a quick stop at Mike Sloane's place to pick up a couple nice
gas cans Mike picked up for me at a sale down there. Thanks, Mike.

Cecil

what you said.

Cecil E Monson
Lucille Hand-Monson