[AT] Semi-O.T. One man baling? (bale trailers)

Tom Armstrong toma at risingnet.net
Thu Feb 26 14:07:13 PST 2004

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, Grant Brians wrote:

> Frank, there are quite a few trailers in this area which were farmer made
> that were originally built for hauling orchard crawler tractors, but would
> probably meet your needs and they are not too expensive to build. A low deck
> is built with either stub axles welded over the deck or with a fabricated
> drop axle. Old truck wheels are used and the deck height is about 14". Here
> they are tilt trailers to load the crawlers with a drag disc, but for your
> purpose, it would not need to be a tilt. The width could be the width you
> want.

We used to stack bales on a low tilt bed or sometimes a sled 8 ' wide say
3 high.  To unload we ran a 2" pipe across the front of the bottom bales,
ran 20' cables from the ends of the pipe to the rear and secured them to
the hitch of a truck. We would then pull the trailer/sled out from under
the load and it would drop neatly to the ground. The next load would be
brought in tight against the first, one cable left in place, pipe moved
over, other cable hooked to the other end and the truck brought into place
and tightened up. Some one would have to hold the brakes on the truck. In
this way we would make one long stack only 3 bales high.

I NEED to start growing hay again, these cows are costing a fortune to
feed at $12 a bale

Tom Armstrong  toma at sangregorio.org  San Gregorio, CA  s. 1892
Barnyard Technology--- Ideas for tomorrow -> from yesterday's scrap.
     4th, 5th, 6th generation on family farm. Can Ag Sustain?
                http://www.sangregorio.org/