[AT] Scrapple & Head Cheese

George Willer gwill at toast.net
Tue Feb 24 14:26:00 PST 2004

Bear,

I might wander a bit, 'cause I don't know where this will go.  We had an old
bob sled.  They were made like a wagon, but much lower.  We used it the
first year to haul the grain box (maybe Studebaker) to haul firewood from
the woods, pulled by the team of Belgians.  The wood was mostly old split
rail fence (white oak) that was cut up on the buzz saw powered by that !#$%^
John Deere GP.  We had about 80 rods of this fence to clean up, and it kept
us warm.

Anyway, it was only one year, and then the bobsled was made into an outdoor
scalding platform.  A barrel was leaned against one end for the scalding
water which was heated in an enclosed iron kettle.  A can of lye was added
to the water.  We had a hook like a bale hook, but with a longer handle so
two men could work together with it.  The hook was used in the lower jaw of
the hog to pull the hog to and up on the bobsled, and then used to lower the
carcass into and out of the water barrel.  Pop just told me that the hook
had no other use, but I didn't remember any other.

Pop always killed with a 22 short between the eyes.  He didn't believe in
those more expensive 22 longs, and you never knew where the bullet would go
anyway!  Well, he missed one and it just made the hog mad.  He was a good
runner and it took a lot to bring him down.  If I remember the story right,
he was shot 13 times before he could be stuck.  To go along with Gene's
idea... yes, even the sausage was tough.

BTW, that rifle, a 1906 Winchester just found its' way to my collection a
week ago.

In later years, after the bobsled was rotted down, Pop got the idea of using
the loader on his new '47 J.D. A to lower the hog into an upright barrel.
Excellent!  That's a whole lot easier. Problem... when the hog was in the
water was when the tractor ran out of gas.

I really learned a lot on that farm.

George Willer