[AT] Head cheese and history

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Tue Feb 24 15:02:59 PST 2004

Bear, I agree, it is interesting reading some of the history that shows up
on this list.
Your hog butchering memories remind me of when my Dad and I would raise a
few feeders. Bought in spring and fattened up on oat chop and skim milk from
the cows, they'd be in pretty good shape by winter.
The water heating necessary to scald the hog was done in a barrel perched on
a couple of old tractor castings, not sure what they were from , maybe the
long lost Rock Island Heider. The water had to be at a rolling boil before
we'd pail it into a water trough, then lay the hog in the trough with a
couple of chains under it so we could rock and rotate it a bit so the whole
pig skin got scalded. Too long in the water, or too hot meant the skin would
partly cook and then we'd have to be pretty careful with the scrapers or
else damage the skin. Not enough heat meant we'd end up practically shaving
the hog to get all the hair off.
Must be 25 years ago or more.

Ralph in Sask.
http://www3.sk.sympatico.ca/lgoff/latestpage.html