[AT] Diesel Starting Safety Reminder

Brad Gunnells brad-gunnells at uiowa.edu
Tue Feb 24 07:28:48 PST 2004

Reminds me of a story with my Allis WC. Had it parked on a hill since
the battery was about shot. The previous owner had installed a pull
switch (like you'd use for a light) to kill the engine. It was wired so
that when the switch was pulled (on) it would ground the mag and kill
the engine.

I had a buddy that was a farm hand most of his younger years helping me
bale hay one day. I asked him to get the Allis to move a loaded rack
out of the field why I checked over the baler and got ready for the
next wagon. Pretty soon he jumped in his truck and pulled over by the
tractor. A few minutes passed...still no tractor. So I walked over to
see what was up. There he was trying to jump start the tractor.

He was a bit embarrassed when I pushed in the switch and just barely
touched the starter and it popped right off. He thought the switch had
to be "on" (grounding the mag) to start. He rolled it, jumped it, and
still couldn't make it go.

After that I bought a key switch that grounds in the the off position
so anyone besides me would find it intuitive. I still joke to him about
having to install a key switch so the help could figure it out!

Brad