[AT] Diesel Starting Safety Reminder

Robinson robinson at svs.net
Mon Feb 23 21:37:09 PST 2004

	This idea of not having the kill switch in the kill
position is new to me. I would never dream of leaving
it in the running position. I recall clearly an Allis
dealer mechanic watching very carefully at the County
Fair that none of the kids looking at a new Allis
WD-45-D moved the throttle lever from the locked kill
position to the run position. I asked him why and he
said that it could start by itself in the run position
especially if it had just been run. I had never been
around diesels back then but I always remembered his
warning and when we got a diesel I always double
checked the kill switch. Still do.
	We (Scott and I) have a standard basic shut down
procedure. You turn off the switch or pull the kill
control. Next you take it out of gear. Finally you
"ALWAYS" set the brake... When starting the clutch is
always disengaged first. Even with the clutch
disengaged you still "shake hands" with the gear shift
and put it in neutral first.
	I could have an accident tomorrow but proper habits
will go a long way toward keeping you safe. The key
word there is "habit". Don't count on thinking about
it, something might distract you. Make it a habit...
	I see guys start tractors in gear at maybe 40% of the
auctions I go to. Scares the hell out of me that their
habits are that bad. Years ago a guy here started one
from the ground without checking the gear shift and
managed to get out of the way of the tractor only to
have it run over and kill his very young son. A real
mess. Be careful out there guys. The life you save
might be more important than your own...

"farmer"

My most recent list
mailto:budget_muzzleloading-subscribe at yahoogroups.com

Francis Robinson