[AT] Hydraulic Cylinder problems again - Help?

Larry Voris lvoris at axs.net
Mon Feb 23 20:56:48 PST 2004

DEAN:
----- Original Message -----
From: "Dean VP" <deanvp at att.net>
To: <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Monday, February 23, 2004 9:04 PM
Subject: [AT] Hydraulic Cylinder problems again - Help?

> I have a Hydraulic Cylinder (Jack) on my 20' tilt trailer that has decided
> to act up again. I had this problem before and with help from the list
> members, I was able to get it going again by heavily lubricating the small
> piston on the manual pump. The problem is that it quits working before the
> cylinder is fully extended, (trailer deck fully tilted).  I think my band
> aid fix in the past may have just masked what the real problem is. But I'm
> not sure what it is. I do know inadequate fluid is not the problem.

Always use a light hydraulic fluid in jacks.  DO NOT USE BRAKE FLUID
It does sound like it is low on fluid.  What brand is the jack?
When you lubricated the small pistion would indicate that the
cup on the small piston is probably bad.  If it is a jack made in
china it will have a metric cup. Probably 12MM. Under the pump
cylinder is a valve body.  It contains the 2 ball. Suction and Pressure.
Clean this valve body.  Don't get it upside down when you put it back.
It probably has water in it.  If you have a digital camera, take a picture
and e-mail it to me. lvoris at vorishyd.com
Larry Voris

> I noticed that HF is selling cylinders that look a lot like this one and
I'm