[AT] Diesel Starting Safety Reminder

Len Rugen lrugen at c-magic.com
Mon Feb 23 18:21:13 PST 2004

I think the neutral safety only keeps the starter from turning on most
tractors.  They will bump (roll) start right around that.

I guess "electronic" engines might be safer.

Would it be better to leave the fuel cut-off pulled out?  I never do, I
don't want to bend the thing and then be disabled.  My pump leaks with it
out also, but with the cost of fuel, that's going to get fixed.  I turn the
fuel off under the tank also, but I bet there would be enough in the system
to start and cause damage.

I guess tractors were like guns.  If I was courious when I was a kid, my dad
showed me how they worked.  I was driving just to feed at about 7, while he
would throw the bales off the wagon.  He pointed me in the right direction,
put it in 1st, low throttle and off we went.  I knew where the kill switch
was.  He was a little surprized the first time I clutched to pause to let a
cow get out of the way, then started up again.  My sons have driven for
things like loading hay as soon as they can reach the controls safely, but
that's been about 9 or 10.

We got the second tractor the summer after I was in 5th grade, then I was a
full time operator for raking and the safer dirt work.

---