[AT] More from Aunt Charlotte's book (Fanning mill)

pga2 at hot1.net pga2 at hot1.net
Mon Feb 23 05:44:18 PST 2004

Walt,
I watched the History Channel the other day and they had a program on
about Mount Vernon. George Washington built a similar thing using a
slatted floor and horses to thresh his wheat. The wheat would fall through
the gaps between the floorboards to the level below where it was gathered
and then 3winnowed from the chaff in a similar way to what your Great Aunt
described.
The main difference was that the horses used were trained specifically for
this job and would trot on command.

Phil