Eating while doing tractor things sort of ramble (was)RE: [AT] Speaking of Harbor Freight

Robinson robinson at svs.net
Fri Feb 20 08:56:23 PST 2004

	I thought I should put "tractor" in the subject
line...   :-)   Actually it is on topic for me because
much of the time when I eat out it is because I'm away
from home with tractor stuff.
	I suppose I would look at it differently if I were
not so well blessed with poverty but I just can't
enjoy an overly expensive meal. I have had a few good
expensive meals in my life but most of the time paying
a herd of money has only gotten me a meal that wasn't
as good as going to Burger King. In fact some of the
worst food I ever ate was quite pricey. I guess I have
just cultivated simpler taste that a lot of people.
Last night's supper (we have supper instead of dinner)
was great. High fluffy biscuits and well seasoned
sausage gravy. I'll take a meal like that over
something like amphibian drumsticks and stuff full of
fungus (toadstools) any day of the week. A gourmet
meal for me would likely have catfish as the main
course. The closest I come to fancy is shrimp night at
the buffet. Actually my all time favorite meal is a
good old country fried chicken dinner... DANG, I'm
making myself hungry.   :-)
	Diana and I can (and usually do) eat a filling meal
for $8 to $12 for both of us when we eat out. If we
pay close to $20 for the two of us it better be damn
good. My kids like to get the family together for a
meal now and then for special occasions and those
often happen at the local Golden Corral buffet. Ours
is smallish and older but good. I have eaten at others
out of state that I didn't especially care for. One
daughter and her husband are hung up on Cracker
Barrel. Ours is a very good one but far too busy to
suit me. We gathered there recently for son Scott's
Girl friend's birthday. Except to go along with them I
would never wait an hour and a half for a meal in a
restaurant. They are a bit higher priced than I prefer
but great food.
	There are a few joints with their nose in the air
here that put the tip on the bill now. If they see me
it will just be driving on past. People are nuts and
stupid to just lay down for every farce someone wants
to pull on them. Everybody thinks such things are just
inevitable changes but not so. If people would stand
up to them they could make a difference. There isn't a
restaurant out there that wouldn't take serious note
of just one week of no customers. Instead everybody
just lines up to be victims... Sad...
	Back in the early 1960's we still had a tiny busy
burger joint here called The Nickel Nook. They served
a tiny burger about like White Castles but that were
gas grill fried in onions. I used to go there for
lunch and buy 4 burgers and a coke for .50 cents
total. Never waited more than about 5 minutes. Some
folks turned up their nose at the place because it was
not very fancy out front but I was close friends and
neighbor to the fire chief. He often told me that they
had the cleanest kitchen in town, all stainless steel
in the back room.
	Veering back toward tractors... At several tractor
shows we watch for a few choice vendors that sell
giant breaded tenderloin sandwiches. Usually see them
at Johnson Co. IN and I think at Elnora IN and a
couple of others.
	There is a local family named Cobbler that has a
couple of concession trailers that serve a fantastic
Walleye sandwich. I have been known to go to an
auction just because they were serving there.   :-)
I have seen them at tractor shows too.
	If I went in a place to eat and they brought me one
of those meals that has a large plate with a teaspoon
of food in the center and something "drizzled" around
the plate to keep it from looking naked I would likely
slap them.
	I only get around to the north side of Indy about
once a year these days but we have a chef on this list
(hi Scott Pike) that serves a great meal at their
place up there. Nice place, great food and reasonably
priced. Its called "The Roost" if anybody wants to
look it up.
	I love good food, just don't see paying real big
bucks for something I may have to pay for again
someday to have pumped out of the septic tank...   ;-)

"farmer"

My most recent list
mailto:budget_muzzleloading-subscribe at yahoogroups.com

Francis Robinson