[AT] Generator vs. Alternator

HaliganBar at aol.com HaliganBar at aol.com
Mon Feb 16 19:34:20 PST 2004

This thought crossed my mind the other day when I was driving....What is the
advantage(s) to an alternator over a generator in a vehicle? I'm guessing it's
stuff like a built-in voltage regulator and more output in a smaller package.
Am I on the mark and are there other reasons?

Also, is there anything special required when shutting off an engine equipped
with a generator? I ask because I had a friend that owned a Stinson
(airplane) that was equipped with a generator. When he shut down the engine he always
ran it up for about a minute. When I asked why he said it was because the plane
had a generator. I never asked him to elaborate....I should have.

Karl