[AJD] Tech Data Question

greg at theoldtractorcompany.com greg at theoldtractorcompany.com
Tue Dec 21 10:50:39 PST 2004

Hi
The B service manual on Ebay is an original dealer service manual, hence the reason it appears to look different. It has the tabs, etc. and is what the dealer would have had "during the day" so to speak. We have our set of these manuals and I took them out of use years ago and replaced them with copies for the shop to use. There is only one B service manual that Deere ever put out and that is the late one as is listed on Ebay. Same thing you get today in reprint form. Periodically wild rumors fly over earlier G, H, D or other genuine Deere service manuals having been printed. I have never found one nor do I know of anyone who has. Believe me, if there were some I would own them (!). So the B is the first real familiar format service manual Deere produced.
The reason for the higher prices for the originals is that the ones we get today from Deere are in a different format, modern covers and at times poorly copied text that can make them more difficult to read. Also a lot of collectors simply want a "period" manual that is from close to the time their tractor was made. I myself definitely prefer originals over reprints. I just don't care for the New Millenium covers Deere puts on today's reprints. Also there is the price factor. Going up and up with no end in sight so why not put the money into an original?
All things being equal, I would pay more for the one on ebay. Of course then I would also have to buy a reprint so I didn't get the original dirty!! lol

Just my thoughts
Greg

Greg Stephen
The Old Tractor Company
Stephen Equipment Company
Box 709
7460 E Hiway 86
Franktown, CO 80116
303-663-5246
303-468-0377 FAX<<--A GREAT WAY TO REACH ME!