[AT] Ford 8 N

Alan Riley ariley at cox-internet.com
Thu Dec 9 19:06:43 PST 2004

One of my earliest tractor memories is of an 8-N Ford.  I wasn't
raised on a farm -  my parents were both schoolteachers in a
small town in middle Tennessee.  Around 1951 or 1952, when
I was 7 or 8 years old, my Dad took me to a circus in a
neighboring town.  One of the events at the circus was a
tug-of war between a new 8-N Ford and an elephant.  At
first it looked like the little Ford might win - it's wheels were
spinning and the elephant was moving backwards.  Then
the elephant's trainer must have commanded the elephant
to walk forward, not backward - the Ford's wheels were
still spinning, but now it was the one moving backward!

It still makes me mad every time I think about it!  I really
wanted the tractor to win.

Alan Riley
Deville, LA