[AT] OT computer slowdown

pga2 at hot1.net pga2 at hot1.net
Fri Dec 31 06:07:15 PST 2004

Cecil,
I was pretty sure that you would have the tools I mentioned
installed on your system, I mentioned them mainly for the
benefit of those that might not.
I agree that you pay a performance price for everything
that runs in the SysTray when the system boots up. You
can either remove these, close them or modify them so
they don't start when the system does. I have a program
that runs my scanner that wants to "help me" by starting
up with the computer. I don't really need this unless I'm
going to scan stuff, so I've modified it's properties so
it doesen't "help" any more.
Since you are now on XP, you should also have at least
256Mb of RAM, 512Mb would be even better. That will help
some with the memory "caching" which is indicated by lots
of disk activity. This is caused by the memory being full
so the system uses the hard drive to store what is already
in memory so it can write something else to memory.
Another tip is to set your swap file size to double the
size of your memory.
Hopefully, your system is not already optimized and one
or more of these tips will help.

Phil