[AT] OT: Carburetors

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Thu Dec 30 19:33:57 PST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: Gerald Johnson <geraldajohnson at bellsouth.net>
To: Antique tractor email discussion group <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Thursday, December 30, 2004 9:16 PM
Subject: Re: [AT] OT: Carbruators

> You're right Ralph.....an AFB is a Carter carburetor.  I remember they
were
> used on the  1961 Chevrolet Super Sport  409 engine.  The single 4 bbl.
> engine was rated at 360 hp. but in 1962 they came out with the dual Carter
> AFB's that brought about the 409 with 409 hp.  Strong!

Gerald
Dual carter AFBs is a term I recall from my days of reading "Rod and Custom"
magazine in the 1960s. No I never owned anything that radical but I do like
the sound emanating from the big secondaries on my quadrajet in the GMC
pickup on full throttle.
Most (probably all) of the old tractors I can think of have been updraft
style single thoat carburetors. Nothing fancy but they seemed to get the job
done and they look simple enough that I think even I could dismantle and
repair one of them. I can't say the same for the Rochester quadrajet on the
pickup truck though.

Ralph in Sask.
http://lgoff.sasktelwebsite.net/