[AT] AT] Just testing/ Snow

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Thu Dec 30 19:05:41 PST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: Gene Dotson <gdotsly at loganrec.com>
To: Antique tractor email discussion group <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Thursday, December 30, 2004 7:41 PM
Subject: [AT] AT] Just testing/ Snow

>     Ralph, I have been watching the progress of the storm on the
> weather channel. Looks like you will be busy for a while. >     Have you
checked the air cleaner for water on the "40"? I
> have had them collect water and then freeze, making for a rich
> mixture. My DC-4 is so bad about getting water in the housing
> that I put a radiator drain in the bottom to drain off the
> water.

Gene, update on the blizzard, no real change as it is still coming down (and
sideways with the wind). I took a walk out the driveway just before dark
after feeding the cattle and the worst seems to be in the yard and sheltered
areas. Out in the open the wind is pretty well sweeping it clean. Around the
yard and buildings is knee deep in places but pretty soft and I should be
able to claw my way through it with the 4wd Blazer if I have to get out
before the tractors are ready to roll.
I think the next thing I will try on the 40 is some gas line anti-freeze
just in case there is a bit of water (ice) in the carb. I'm sure it did not
take any snow in through the intake as I have not done any serious work with
the tractor since the snow first came. Right now my biggest problem is
re-sealing the sediment bowl gasket under the fuel tank. I always try to
avoid removing those bowls as it is so hard to re-seal them but I was
running out of ideas and wondered if the bowl had ice in it. (It did'nt.)
I'm just hoping the local repair shop might have a new gasket in stock.
Ralph in Sask.
http://lgoff.sasktelwebsite.net/