[AT] Cub engine on combine

Al Jones aljones at ncfreedom.net
Thu Dec 30 15:40:48 PST 2004

Yep, got two of em.  I've always loved combines.  In my 'dream
collection' in addition to the tractors I would love to add a Massey
Harris/Ferguson 35 SP and a Massey Ferguson 300.  Anyway for those who
don't remember the story....

The first of my combines is a '44 model and it has the Continental power
unit, a Y-69.  Sweet little engine.  I bought it from a small farmer in
Durham NC.  The Cub-equipped 52R is a post-49 model. Between a '49 and a
'50. Bought it off Ebay, it came out of Iowa. The '44 is a bagger, the
other is a tanker.  I feel really fortunate to have basically the two
main variations of 52R combines IH made. (I need to find a PTO driven
52R with a round grain bin to make my collection complete, I guess!)

I have pulled the bagger with a Super A and a 450.  If you look in the
Farmall Cub Photoarchive book, there's a shot of a 52R being pulled with
a Cub!  That would work, but I know from personal experience with the
Super A that the ground had better be firm......

If all goes well, here are some links to my last two harvests with the
bagger combine. None of them show the Continental as good as I'd like.
Hopefully this spring I'll have em both going......

Al

These first three are from 2004.  Notice the absence of a tie-er on the
bagging platform....I have a hard time getting someone to ride back
there!

http://www.redpowermagazine.com/uploads/upload.cgi/2004wheat1.JPG

http://www.redpowermagazine.com/uploads/upload.cgi/2004wheat2.JPG

http://www.redpowermagazine.com/uploads/upload.cgi/2004wheat4.JPG