[Farmall] F-12 Paint Color

Bob Currie tractors at foothill.net
Wed Dec 29 22:23:32 PST 2004

Johnny,
It is pretty widely accepted, and backed by company documents that Farmall
tractors were painted "Tractor Gray", with "Harvester Red" wheels through
November 1, 1936, and then basically starting with the 37 year models they
were painted entirely "Harvester Red". There are probably some variances
with this, as dealers would probably paint your Farmall F-12 whatever color
you wanted, depending on special needs, and if you were willing to pay
extra. There are those in the hobby who will say otherwise, but I'll stick
to the facts presented by the IH Paint Decision Committe memos and hard
evidence which has been found on some of the original tractors that have
been well preserved, and uncovered by collectors. If you want to be
accurate, I'd recommend the following formulas.

Tractor Gray, Dupont #27625 or PPG #DAR-32565
Harvester Red,  IH#2150, Dupont #7410, or PPG#71310

These formulas are for acrylic enamel, except the Case-IH #2150 which is a
synthetic enamel I believe. You can find it at the dealers, but I've been
told it is getting harder and harder to come by.

The 1936 F-12 used a IH model F-4 magneto. It was used on many other
models, and they are fairly easy to find.

bobcurrie