[AT] semi O/T getting things un-stuck

Gene Dotson gdotsly at loganrec.com
Tue Dec 28 13:57:24 PST 2004

    Here it is H.L.;    Gene

Removing a broken drill or tap in nonferrus metals (brass -
aluminum,
etc.)

At most any grocery store, buy a box of alum. Select a glass or
ceramic
container (made for
stove top use) or an aluminum pot large enough to place your
part in so
it can be submerged in
water. Remove the part and bring the water up to just below the
boiling
point of the water.
Add alum until no more will disolve, then place your part in the
solution. Keep the solution
at a simmer and you will soon observe a trail of tiny bubbles
coming
from the broken
drill/tap. Keep the solution at a simmer and add water as needed
as long
as the trail of
bubbles continue. When the bubbles stop, remove the part and let
cool
for inspection. You
should discover that the steel drill or tap has turned to a
rusty mud
which is easily removed
from the hole.