[AT] OT - Pickup Transmission Question

tomehrkam at houston.rr.com tomehrkam at houston.rr.com
Thu Dec 23 06:45:08 PST 2004

I agree any body but AAMCO, Brake Check, Just Brakes etc. They are all
crooks.

You probably have a great independent tyranny shop in your area. The trick
is finding them. Ask around. If you have a mechanic you trust then ask him
which shop he would choose. That is how I found mine.

If you have a little patience and a service manual you can probably fix it
your self. The computer helps a lot diagnosing these problems.

I do not remember for sure. I thought my 1991 had a mechanical speedometer.
It did have a Vehicle speed sensor for the computer. I do not remember but
maybe they ran off the speedometer cable. I seem to remember a cable coming
from the tail shaft of the Tanny and behind the dash it goes into the VSS.
Another cable is attached to the VSS and goes to the speedometer. If that
is the case maybe the cable or gear is bad. Look under the truck and see if
there is a old time speedometer cable.

PS: I have never heard a good AMCO story. Only horror stories.