[AJD] DB1234

Karl Olmstead olmstead at ridgenet.net
Wed Dec 22 14:44:45 PST 2004

I was looking over the John Deere parts CD, DB1234 today.  I had forgotten
how lousy the scanned images were when running under Acrobat Reader 2.x,
which is included on the CD-ROM.

Just out of curiosity, I opened the same PDF file using Acrobat Reader 6.0.
The improvement in image quality was very impressive.  It is enormously
easier to see the drawings and read the text even when left as small images.
Apparently Adobe has made big improvements in the way AR deals with scanned
documents.  You have to figure out which PDF file is the manual you need,
and then you can open it with AR.  I haven't found a way to make the
cdreader.exe application on the CD load the newer version of Acrobat Reader
yet.

The parts catalog files are in the PDF folder on DB1234....

-Karl