[Farmall] 1967 International-Courtney V

Guy Fay fayguyma at execpc.com
Tue Dec 21 13:28:40 PST 2004

I find it remarkable that I've been answering questions about this
tractor for two and a half years, actually. Now maybe it was someone
else asking the same questions about the same tractor, I don't know.
Sounds like the secretary, and the owners of the other tractor, may
have been asking me questions and not passing those anwers along to
you.

Industrial tractors built to different specifications than were
available to regular customers ARE common. They don't necessasaraly
show up in the parts books. Just because it says "2424" doesn't mean
that it is the 2424 that was sold to dealers. IH created a special
specification sheets for these tractors, which were fleet buys.

Tractors going to the military are the best examples of this,
particularaly tractors sold to the U.S. Air Force. Air Force tractors
often had different transmissions due to aircraft towing, which pretty
much requires torque converters. J.I. Case often was the biggest
supplier of these, but other companies got into the act. For more
about the Case tractors and the Air Force tractors in general, see the
ASAE Case book covering 1955 and up.

This tractor is not a prototype. Prototype IH industrial tractors of
this vintage will have a Q- or possibly QFE- serial number.

I have never, ever, heard of "boxloads of documents hauled to
dumpsters by disgruntled workers". In fact, "archived" material held
in Chicago HQ would have been quite safe. Materials at Hinsdale were
destroyed to clear space, as was the same in Libertyville.

I have answered identical questions about this, and possibly a second
identical, tractor for two and a half years, if not more. Where are
the answers going?

I've probably dealt with 25-50 similar situations on industrial
tractors- while your particular tractor may be "rare", "rare"
industrial tractors aren't uncommon at all. In fact, I sometimes doubt
whether there's two alike.

>  Guy Fay & Mike Schmudlach, Guy-While I realise you
are "knowledgeable, you didn't offer me any info other than to say
that the tractor is no big deal.  It may not be to you, but it is to
me as you will see at the end of my post.  Your email to me consisted
of 2 lines; that you received my emails and that 2424's are common
tractors.  That made me thing you didn't even take the time to look at
it, or maybe didn't know anything about it--I've had some people email
me to say they favor a different vintage so know nothing of our
tractor.  I'm sure that while you are very knowledgeable, you don't
know everything about ALL Farmall and IH tractors or you wouldn't need
to do any research anymore.  Likewise, I DID read through your
prototype book--it's where I first found your name at the Wisconsin
State Historical Society, digging through boxes--but I'm sure it
doesn't have every prototype ever made in it, especially since you
probably know that truckloads of archived material w!
>  as hauled to the dump by disgruntled employees.  It wasn't you or
Mike Schmudlach that helped me find a tractor just like ours, so
please don't tell people that you "tried to help me and I wouldn't
listen".  I want to know the history of our tractor and I will
continue to send emails to Farmall and IH fanciers, auctioneers and
the like.  I will apologize in advance for all the people who might
still forward my emails to you, I was not trying to waste your time,
nor was I trying to get you to help me in some round about way.
Please let me know if you want me to put a disclaimer in my emails
asking people not to forward my emails to you. Mike-I am VERY sorry
that Jerry's secretary was ungrateful for your help.  She can be a
scatterbrain but she usually does try hard to think of others.  Leida
did give me the file on the tractor but she apparently didn't take
good notes as all I had was your name and email.  I know you did email
me, but there was nothing specific in your emai!
>  l other than to say you had looked into it when talking Leida and
it w
> as a dead end.  Our tractor may be undesireable to most collectors,
but I want to reiterate that that isn't the point--at least not for
me.  Let me explain a little....my dad has a hobby farm and has
collected and restored 23 antique tractors--he put more money into
restoring a machinery shed because the barn was full, than I would put
into my house.  When my uncle (dad's ex-brother in law but they're
still friends) bought this tractor, it started a little bit of a fun
family rivalry, and I HAD to get involved....as you can probably tell
by now, I don't give up a fight easily.  I have nothing to gain from
finding out about our little tug, other than smug satisfaction and an
entire LIFETIME of gloating.  The reason you hear nothing for short
periods of time and then tons of posts and emails is that I can only
work on the tractor leads in my spare time, which is not a lot.  I
can't say that you won't see my emails again because I cut and paste
the specifics into every email, o!
>  nly updating it when I have new info.  I am offering to put the
same disclaimer in for you as I will for Guy asking people not to
forward to you.  I really don't want any hard feelings but I'm going
to continue my search and will probably post to the list if I find
something knew because other people have shown interest and I think
they might like to know what I find. I hope everyone has happy
holidays.Courtney VandenRidge

CoreComm Webmail.
http://home.core.com