[AT] OT - Pickup Transmission Question

Rob Gray Robgray at epix.net
Tue Dec 21 06:33:45 PST 2004

I have a '90 F150 automatic 4X4 which started to have shifting problems
the same day as the speedometer started to "bounce" around from zero to
the actual driving speed. The transmission continued to shift worse and
worse as the speedometer got worse and worse until the speedometer
stopped working at all and I could barely drive the thing due to
extremely off-timing gear shifting. This was supposedly one of the first
years for Ford's electronic transmissions so I'm guessing that these
trucks use the  speedometer to assist the auto tranny in "knowing" when
to shift?

I left it at AAMCO and they said that they have to open up the transfer
case and take a look. Has anyone experienced this sort of problem before
that could give me any insights as to how big a job it was to get
fixed....? I just had the torgue converter on the transmission replaced
6 months ago and with a truck this age I'm somewhat leery of digging a
hole too deep expense-wise... Maybe I should park it out in the field
and start one of those old vehicle "collections" you see on some places
here and there.... ;)