[AT] (a little)OT: homemade dump truck/hauler

ROBBRUT at aol.com ROBBRUT at aol.com
Mon Dec 20 14:48:59 PST 2004

I caught new truckitus last month and almost bought a new GMC K1500HD crew
cab.

But the fact that it only seated 6, cost $36K, and that gas prices are higher
that I used to pay for beer (by the quart) made me decide to get a Honda
Pilot (4WD, seats eight, get over 20 mpg, etc) as a daily driver and to keep my
'95 Chev K1500 extracab (170K miles, 12-14 mpg) for hauling stuff and towing my
9990 lb gross trailer and whatever I'm carrying (Kubota, Case, 9N, Deutz and a
'46 Chev Dumptruck have all had a ride).

Well, I came across a 12v V hydraulic pump, reservoir, control and piston
(NOT a plow lift), and I have an urge to make the Chev even more versatile and be
able to do a little dumping.

I'd like leave the bumper where it is, cause the weight-distributing hitch
setup is is kind of intimately involved.

Anyone know where there might be some plans, etc for making hinging, latching
and scissors (or other) lift mechanisms ?

Thanks.
-Bruce Thompson
P.S. You may ask "Why do this, why not just fix the '46 chevy dump?" The
answer is bed height, since the littlest tractor (Kubota) can't lift high enough
to reach much of the '46's bed, but can it fill the pickup bed to the gunnels.
Also, the '95 can haul the trailer/tractor at modern highway speeds and the
'46 ? It can't evn haul ITSELF at highway speeds !
-B