[AT] Basic question about a VF4 Wisconsin engine

toma at risingnet.net toma at risingnet.net
Sun Dec 19 23:06:56 PST 2004

Quoting "Ronald L. Cook" <rlcook at pionet.net>:

> 	If you have a half-speed distributor, Number 1 is at the 12 o'clock or
> nearest the engine block.  Rotation is counter-clockwise and the spark
> plugs towers would be in the firing order.  1,3,4,2.
> 	If you have an engine speed distributor, Number 1 is at about the 2
> o'clock position with 12 o'clock being closest to the block and the
> position of the coil lead.  Rotation is still counter-clockwise I think,
> but the spark plug leads are numbered 1,4,3,2.
> 	If you have a magneto, Number 1 is at 2 o'clock.  Rotation is
> counter-clockwise and the leads are numbered 1,4,3,2.
> 	Sure do wish mine had an electric starter!

I was working on one of these V4's this weekend. It is on a lincoln arc welder
I am sure it had fire this summer when I got it during the hot weather.
I just got the fuel system cleaned out and now there is no spark.
I tried to take the cap off to check the points. It looks like I need to take
off the oil filter. It must be an engine speed mag. It clicks on impulse about
twice as much as it seems like it should. I had one of these on a hay press
once. I don't look forward to cranking it either.