[AT] Some ads from the 12/18 Lancaster Farming

Dudley Rupert drupert at premier1.net
Sun Dec 19 22:26:58 PST 2004

Ron,

Since you said your' response was just a guess I think I will put out one -
a guess that is - myself.

In 49 or 50 IH introduced the L-150 truck, then in around 53 they made some
minor upgrades and cosmetic changes and re-numbered it to R-150 and then two
or three years later they again made some minor improvements and re-numbered
it to S-150.

The GVWR of the L-150 was 9,000#, the L-151 was 10,750# and the L-152 was
12,500# (I would imagine that the GVWRs for the R and S series of 150s were
comparable but I don't have that information handy).  The standard tires
were 7.50-17 8 ply single rears on all models.  IH recommended 7.00-17 8 ply
dual rears on the L-150, 7.50-17 8 ply dual rears on the L-151 and 7.00-20 8
ply dual rears on the L-152.

So, I think your' guess that the truck in question was an airline service
truck is a good one except I would think that it is bigger than a half ton
pickup.   BTW, IH's half ton pickups in the 1950s were designated 110s; for
example, L-110, R-110 or S-110.

But, as I said, this is just a guess -

Dudley
Snohomish, Washington