[AJD] Newer Reproduction Lights and Gauges

Cotton Family dcotton at coosahs.net
Sun Dec 19 17:08:08 PST 2004

Well I just went through lights and gauges on the 70 so I will share.. I
contacted Dave Cook about lights and he sent me 2 of the repo lights to
look at.. The shape from the outside looks the same. That's where the
difference ends.. The reflector is a tin part where the original was
chrome plated brass.. The bulb was exceedingly difficult to remove (
actually I never got it out as I was to afraid of damaging the reflector
or bulb ) The gasket is a very large,soft and wide unit.. Have no idea
on the sealing capability but I didn't really like it.. The mounting
studs were about 2 inches to long... So I settled on sending those back
along with my old ones to have rebuilt.. I ended up with rechromed brass
reflectors and a much better product in the end.. I would have rebuilt
them myself but mine were banged up and my bodywork skills are not very
honed yet.. If you had some nice shells it would be a better deal in my
opinion to get the parts to make the old ones work..IF it was just to
get some lights on the tractor that looked close and function was not a
priority then the repo's might be the way to go.. I did notice a huge
difference in the amount of light projected between the 2.. Since it is
the same bulb, I figure the difference lies in the reflector and lens
combo..

Gauges- I have a repo amp gauge, a new JD water temp gauge and the
original oil pressure gauge in the tractor.. I found the repo amp gauge
to be acceptable. I didn't like the thumb screws where the original used
nuts.. I used red locktite to make sure they hold.. I went through 2 of
the repo oil pressure gauges as they both read well below where they
should..
Here is a picture of the repo while the engine is running.

http://www.business.uab.edu/pcotton/dennis/restored/JD70/Images/Picture%
20164.jpg

As you can see it was low. Matter of fact I went through 2 of them and
they both read the same.. The original showed the pressure at M so I
carefully took the old gauge apart and restored the needle and case and
reinstalled it.

The water temp gauge I had was toast.. I used boiling water to check it
and found that it was about 80 degrees off. Guess the pressure bulb was
shot.. Heck it was only 50 years old this past July.. Don't build things
to last....
The new one I Opted for a JD for the proper length.. I tested it also
with hot water, and only found it off by 20 degrees so things were much
closer. (this was with the altitude adjustment figured in).  So now with
the tractor on a fast idle the thing actually moves off the peg...If I
ever get the tires back on and sheet metal I might do some spring
plowing with my 4x14 trailer plow to see if I can  really get it to
move.

Sorry for the long post but been home with the stomach virus and this is
close to the tractor as I have gotten..

Dennis