[AJD] Mike's B - crankcase

Duane Larson jdlarson at comcast.net
Sun Dec 19 13:36:32 PST 2004

Mike,
Well, I'm of the school that removes the crankcase cover, drains whatever
comes out and after setting for a couple of days with the plug removed, roll
up my sleeves, take a good light and see what is left in there.  Then,
either reach down in and scrape the muck up with my hands and push it out
the drain hole, or lift it out and dispose of it. A paint scraper is useful.
Finally you will get all you can get out (don't forget to reach back around
the oil filter case, etc.), then I have a sprayer attachment that holds
about a quart of diesel fuel - hook to my air compressor, and spray around
in there, letting the sludge drain out the hole.  Keep this up, waiting a
day or so to see what is left, and finally you will have a reasonably clean
crankcase.  By that time one can generally judge if the oil lines may be
plugged or not - if that may be the case, unhook (carefully) one of the
lines and attach a (homemade)device which allows connection of the
previously mentioned sprayer to the line and pressurize.  If the line is
open diesel will squirt out of the bearing/bushing - if not, then figure out
why not.

This is a bit of messy work, but when I am done I am satisfied the bearings,
bushings, etc. will be oiled as designed by JD.  Anyway, that is how I do
it.  And my hands do clean up, but I have been known to use a pair of
surgeons gloves to minimize the grease/muck on my hands.

A similar process can be used for the transmission - remove the cover and
see what is in there.  Generally it has less contamination because it is not
exposed to combustion products and a good draining/flushing will clean it up
pretty good.  But you will also see if any bearings have been damaged by
sitting in water.....
Good Luck whatever you decide-
Duane Larson