[AJD] Mike's B - crankcase

Bill Brueck b2 at chooka.net
Sun Dec 19 12:52:11 PST 2004

What you found in the crankcase is business as usual for a machine that
hasn't been maintained for a while, and prexumably has set outside.  Yes,
you'll find water in the crankcase as well.  Ron's right, just drain the
water out for now (water will settle to the bottom so you'll get it first).
When you get ready to take the project more seriously and before you work
the tractor I'd drain the tranny, too, and put in fresh lubricant unless
what you find in there looks real good already.

Others may be more cautious, but I find these machines to be wonderfully
forgiving. I'd refill the engine with clean, light weight oil (10 would be
good) and drain it out again after running it for maybe 30-60 minutes (drain
it hot, more stuff will be in suspension and come out for you).  If the oil
from these flushes settles out well in the bucket after a couple of days I'd
run it through again.  Some folks alternate by putting in pure diesel on
these flush-by-running passes, watching oil pressure carefully and running
the engine briefly, at moderate speed, no load.  Had a country mechanic in
the 50's who used to do that diesel flush on our vehicles when we had them
in for routine service.

B²
Bill Brueck (brick)
Chatfield, MN, USA