[AJD] Mike's B - crankcase

Robert M. Massengale ltcmikem at ktc.com
Sun Dec 19 09:19:48 PST 2004

As I work toward getting the B ready to start I figured it would be a good idea to
change the engine oil.  When I pulled the drain plug I was horrified at the grey
colored muck and at least a gallon of water that came out of the crankcase. Then
pulled the oil filter and got volumes more of that nasty grey sludge and more water.
The mess that came out filled a 5 gal paint bucket to within 4" of the top.  Nothing
came out that even resembled oil, in texture or color.  I thought at first the block or
head must be cracked, but the water is clear and the water in the radiator is
antifreeze green.  Don advised me that it's not unusual for old tractors to get water
in the crankcase, so that eased my concern some.  However, I've got to get that
stuff out of the crankcase.  I sure can't run the engine with that mess in there.  I
picked up five gallons of diesel after church with the intention of putting that in the
crankcase and letting it sit/soak.  Then after a day or so rocking the B forward &
back to get a sloshing action going to help loosen and break up the sludge to help it
drain out.

Would appreciate any guidance the list can offer me on this.  What about the
transmission and differential fluids... should I anticipate the same problem in those
areas?

Thanks in advance.
Mike
Robert M. Massengale