[AJD] Greetings / Fly Wheel

Troy Bogdan tbogdan1 at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 18 04:28:42 PST 2004

Hello,
I have been away from ATIS for some time now, but wanted to let you know
that I am back as a subscriber.  I hope to hear from many old familiar
names, and hope to meet lots of new ones also.

I have two antique tractors.  A 1953 John Deere 70, and a 1945 Farmall A.

 My question today is, how do I keep my JD 70's fly-wheel from coming
loose/falling off?  Several years ago, I replaced my original flywheel with
a new taper-lock flywheel.  About a year ago, the flywheel started slipping
outward, and rubbing against the flywheel cover.  I tightened it up and it
would come loose again in a few days.  It started happening more frequently,
so now I leave the flywheel cover off all the time, because I am constantly
tightening it up.  This is getting annoying, and  hate having the flywheel
cover off all the time, 1) because it is dangerous, and 2) I like to step on
it when I am filling it with gas (when it is off, I have to step on the
wobbily flywheel).  Any suggestions???

By the way, I took it into a local shop that specializes in antique
tractors, and they say I need a new taper lock for $300+  They say I wore
the old one out by running it with a loose flywheel, but they have been
wrong before, and I want a second, or third, opinion.  What do you folks
think?

Otherwise, this has been a very good, strong running tractor, and is my main
tractor for tillage (rototiller), cultivation, mowing, etc. on the farm.
I've owned it for over 10 years, and I've worked it very hard over the
years.

Thanks very much, and hope to talk with you soon.
Troy Bogdan, Pure earth Organic Farm, North-West Pennsylvania
WWW.PUREEARTHORGANIC.COM  (Web site needs updated, but still informative).