[AT] Drill Problem

CEE VILL cvee60 at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 17 19:12:22 PST 2004

Richard,

Just a couple tips from someone with 45 years of holes, probably mostly in
my head.

You could try your local drill supplier for a bit made from cobalt steel.
This would hold up better in tempered steel.  Make sure your bits are at
least high speed steel, NOT carbon steel.  Carbon steel is like bottom of
the line.  Carbide would be super good, but is expensive, and will fracture
easily due to its high hardness.

Before you start each hole, dip the bit in a cutting oil and stop part way
thru and dabble more on the drill point with a cheap paint brush or
whatever.  If you don't have cutting oil, use some WD 40. or at least some
motor oil.  Keep your drill speed low enough and pressure high enough to
produce a good curly chip.  You will notice a big change if how fast the
drill penetrates when the tip is wet with the oil.

Often times people think more drill RPM is better, but in many cases it only
overheats the drill tip, takes out the temper, then rolls the cutting edges
right off.

Hope this gets 'er done for you.

Charlie V. in WNY

PS   TN coated is another option.  The super hard surface may hold up
better.  These are usually gold colored. Cool tractor ref.