[Farmall] Fw: 1967 IH 2424

Jim Becker jim.becker at verizon.net
Fri Dec 17 19:35:30 PST 2004

Ugh.  This one again.  Its like an urban legend or a virus.  We need to get
either Snopes or Symantic to add it to their site.  I think this is the
third time I have been sent a copy.  The first time, I actually tried to
find information on it and wrote back to them.  That was over 2 months ago.
Never got a response, just got another copy of this forwarded to me after a
while.  I don't think they will quit bothering peolpe with this until
somebody tells them the other three were scrapped and their one of two
remaining is worth freaking 6 figures.  If somebody wants to try that, be my
guest.  I think they have an equipment yard and all they see are dollar
signs.

If anyone is curious as to what I sent to them, it is the following 2
paragraphs.  If anyone has any information beyond what I said, I would like
to know.

The I-2424 is the industrial version of the 424 farm tractor.  The G
probably just designates gas powered rather than Diesel.  The industrial
model had separate serial numbers from the farm tractors.  Your serial
number, if a farm tractor, would be earlier than '67 but it is probably
right for a '67 industrial.  The reverser, lack or PTO and 3 point would be
fairly common for an industrial tractor, especially for a government
contract where every effort would have been done to reduce a bid amount.

The basic tractor would have been built at Doncaster, England.  It would
have been shipped to the IH Louisville plant where the engine, sheet metal
and related parts were added to complete the tractor.  The cab and rear
entry look fairly unusual, unlike anything I am aware of from Lewisville.
However, it does look a bit British, so maybe it came from Doncaster.  It
may have also been custom built to meet contract specs.  I see nothing about
the tractor suggesting a prototype, in the common definition of the word.
The equipment on it suggests it was intended as a tug, which is a fairly
common military use (air bases, depots, munition plants etc.).  It was
probably built to a bid specification which probably called for some
specific (maybe small) number.  It is unlikely they went to more than one
branch of the military unless there were multiple contracts using the same
spec.

Jim Becker        jim.becker at verizon.net