[AT] Grease fitting threads

Len Rugen lrugen at c-magic.com
Fri Dec 17 16:33:53 PST 2004

One of the grease fitting holes on the front axle "bolster" on my MF 255 has
no threads.  I suspect a prior owner high centered on something and popped
it out.  In the past, I could stick a 1/8" straight fitting in and it would
catch enough thread to grease it, the I'd take it out.  More than finger
tight andit would jump threads.  OK, now is the season to fix problems like
this, so I started looking for a solution.

If they make Heli-coils for 1/8 NPT, the must be gold plated, I can't find
one.  One suggestion was to drill it to 1/4" NPT and use a bushing.  That
would probably work, but if a zerk hung on something, this larger bushing
and zerk surely would.  I'll keep that for a last resort.

I saw a Permatex (Or locktite) "thread repair kit" for $10.  On reading, it
was basically JB Weld and a release agent.  Well, I don't care if the zerk
releases or not, so I'm thinking of JB welding a zerk back in the hole.
I'll have to be careful to keep the bottom open.

I don't have a clue how the axle could be removed, the zerk is on a fixed
portion, so taking it apart would be a challange.

Any suggestions?

---