[AJD] Mike's "New" B

Robert M. Massengale ltcmikem at ktc.com
Fri Dec 17 07:48:17 PST 2004

Terry -

No, I haven't made an honest effort to start her yet... have had my priorities re-
directed. However, between installing strings of lights I did sneak down to the gate a
couple times yesterday to tinker with her.  Don sent me a basic starting checklist
and a couple things to check before I  attempted to start... fuel & spark.  She failed
both of those pre-start checks... no fuel flow and no spark.  Am not pointing a finger
yet as it could just as easily be me doing something wrong.

On the fuel... eBay description was not accurate and she had NOT been stored with
fuel system dry.  Big tank is about ½ full and fuel is visible in the sediment bowl.
Fuel line from small tank is disconnected.  The 3-way valve (AB1545R) is missing
and the line from big tank connects directly to  fuel filter.  I opened the shut-off on
the top of the fuel filter and the fuel drain on the bottom of the carb and got no fuel
flow. I assume crud is blocking the line somewhere between the tank and the carb.
Will siphon the tank, clean the lines & filter, and put in a little fresh gas before I  try
again.

On the spark... I pulled the left plug. It looks like a fairly new plug (Champion D18Y).
It has a thin, dry black coating as if it had been running a little rich, but did not have
a sooty black build-up.  Reconnected the wire and held the plug against the block
while pulling the flywheel through  several cycles... NO spark.   Removed the plug
and, wearing a rubber glove, held the wire's metal cap near the block to see if I
could get a spark to jump to the block.  Pulled the flywheel through... NO spark.
Wire connections at the mag are tight. Only obvious problem is the plug wire which
is  in poor condition... insulation split and bare wire is visible in a couple places.  I'll
replace the wires (I know to get the real wire and not carbon core) to both plugs, but
I don't think that's the problem.  Will replace the plugs to just to cover all my bets.
The installed plugs are Champion  D18Y and there are two old plugs in the tool box
that are Champion D-23.

I'll welcome any suggestions on the right plug, plug wire or anything I might have
over looked that could be causing the no fuel flow and no spark conditions.

Can't believe I'm 60 years old and having to sneak away to play with my toys :)

Mike

Robert M. Massengale
Fredericksburg, Texas 78624