[AT] OT: Really Nice tractor towing rig

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Fri Dec 17 02:22:23 PST 2004

While at the Gas station paying $2.19 a gallon for Diesel fuel, a rig pulled
in that I hadn't seen before. A 2005 F550 Ford Dually with a conventional 8'
P/U bed on the back. Diesel Powered, Automatic Transmission, 70 gallon (two
tanks), Goose Neck set up in the bed plus a class 4 receiver hitch.  It was
three days new. Had to ask the owner questions about it. He intends to pull
a 30+ foot horse trailer with 14' living quarters.  Expects the trailer load
to be over 15,000 lbs. The truck is rated to pull ~17,000 lbs.  But he
expects to stay under 26,000 lbs GCVW.

Now this is quite a rig. Apparently the P/U bed is a standard 8' Ford bed
that is modified to fit the trucks wheel base and to mate properly with the
cab by a company in Alabama, I believe, something like "Moonies". The whole
set-up is really well done and is classy. From a distance it could easily be
mistaken for an F350 dually.

Now we all should win the lottery before considering this combination. The
owner told me it cost him $56,000 out the door. Whew! Must be really
expensive horses. Owner is a retired Long Haul commercial truck driver and
apparently his daughter is a surgical Vet for one of the local Horse farms.
Might as well go in style. This area is a big in horses but this was a new
one on me.

If I won the lottery, I could see hauling three or more tractors this way.
But then why not just buy an 18 wheeler? Or better yet just hire someone to
do it. :-) 2 footitess and 1,000 lbitess is a disease in trailers and trucks
too. Who needs a boat?  Just stand in a cold shower and rip up $100 bills.

BTW, he said that the Gooseneck setup was not going to be used. A 5th wheel
hitch was yet to be added. He said that the 5th wheel setup was a much
better hitch for his needs. He should know.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

storeroom door

www.deerelegacy.com