[AJD] A1240 .090 Pistons

Chris C jdnutinwa at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 16 17:49:31 PST 2004

    I was working on my 1945 and 1948 A's today.
Removing the heads,  blocks, pistons and rods.  The
1948 A was bought out of a local nickel paper this
summer for $600 and the 45 came home with it for
another $400.  The 1948 was loose, and the 45 stuck.
When I got it home the 48 ran with a magneto switch
and water pipe repair,  however,  it put lots of water
into the oil,  too bad,  it sounded really healthy.
Today I found out why.

     I tore into the 48 first,  It took me about 2
hours to get it torn down,  it sure looks like it was
a fresh rebuild,  until someone let it freeze..   Both
the head and block are broken.  The head has new
valves in it and much to my suprise,  aluminum
pistons,  and new connecting rods.  None of my parts
books show 090 pistons,  I know there are plenty of
them out there.  The number cast into the side of the
piston is A1240.  and then the have the 090 stamped
into the top of the piston.  Did Deere make these?  Or
are they aftermarket?  I have a set of .045 cast iron
pistons and a .045 block that I am going to put back
into the 48,  but I'm thinking grandpa's A might have
a use for them.  They are like new.

       On the 45,  it was about 3 hours just to remove
the block, rods and pistons.   I can't find a casting
number for the pistons,  I have looked inside the
skirt  and on the top of the piston,  where else did
Deere hide the part numbers on these critters?

     All in all it was a good day of wrench turning of
the old JD's.  I will go and install the new block the
48 tomorrow but my .045 rings aren't here yet so that
may be as far as I get (hint hint hint hopefully you
have already shipped them)

                          Chris