[AT] '31 JD D, how do I value it?

Cecil E Monson cmonson at hvc.rr.com
Wed Dec 15 03:40:47 PST 2004

> Called the number.  $2900.   Runs good, the old man just can't turn it past
> compression anymore.   (I haven't seen it running)
>
> Seems to me that this is almost twice the value though.  Am I wrong?  How
> should I value it?
>
> I have no use for this machine, but I'd like to have it.  This would be a
> first machine for me, if I decide it is worth it.

	My feeling is that it is almost impossible to tell someone what
a particular tractor is worth -even a John Deere - without looking it over,
driving it around and listening to the noises it makes.

	It is worth exactly what you or someone else is willing to pay
for it and not one penny more. If you have the $2900 and want to part with
it, you will own it. Personally, I would go there and chat with the guy
for a while about it. Don't be in too much of a hurry and see what you
think after you have been there for a while. Most prices are asking prices
and he might have it higher than he is willing to take because he figures
he will have to come down.

	I sold an unrestored 1943 JD BR on rubber 6 or 7 years ago for $3K
and the guy is still very happy with it. He spent several years restoring
it to even better than "like new" condition and has a nice showpiece.

Cecil
what you said.

Cecil E Monson
Lucille Hand-Monson