An Unpleasant Review....[Fwd: Re: [AJD] Disappointment: New JD Book-HOBBY BOOKS IN GENERAL]

Randy Leffingwell randy at rleffingwell.com
Tue Dec 14 12:09:02 PST 2004

Hello Dean,

I'm really sorry you're disappointed with my new book.

If you wouldn't mind giving me a moment, I would like to set a record
straight about some of the comments you have written.

The first two-thirds of this book IS based on 15,800 pages of new
material. It truly is not a rehash of the book I wrote 11 years ago but
it is a fresh and complete re-examination of that material in view of
several dozen new discoveries. In fact, I threw out the original book as
I started reading Theo Brown's diaries. The text material in this big
book is virtually new up through 1959.

As for taking the text as gospel, I am willing to stake my reputation -
such as it may be in your eyes, now - on this text. Brown was there, and
he did the work. While I am aware that J.R. Hobbs has read portions on
the diaries at Deere's Archives, it appears that Lorry Dunning (who read
all 15,800+ pages) and I may be the only people who have read Brown's
diaries this thoroughly. In fact, according Rodney Gorme Obien, to the
curator at Worchester Polytechnic Institute, we are the only researchers
who have examined Brown's diaries there since he donated them and they
microfilmed them nearly 40 years ago!

Regrettably, from there on, I encountered substantial challenges in
getting more recent engineers to respond to phone calls, inquiries, or
requests for interviews. I admire Deere's engineers and I like the
company but I can tell you after 15 years experience doing books that
book authors exist at the bottom of the food chain for responses to
information requests, not only at Deere & Co. but at most of Fortune's
500.

I felt compelled, as a result, to rewrite some of my existing material
for the chapters dealing with the origination of the New Generation
tractors because I could not obtain enough new information. It
disappointed me and it frustrated me. In the case of my interviews with
Bill Hewitt, and with some of the Dreyfuss designers, some of these
people no longer are with us. I went back to my original interviews,
listened to the tapes and reread my transcriptions, in order to see if I
could come up with any new interpretation.

The photos are another matter. There are 88 NEW tractors in this book,
machines that I have not photographed before. As I assembled the text I
recognized that there were some machines that I wrote about but that I
had not found new machines to shoot, or I had been denied access to
shoot them again for this book. Hence, there are some recycled images. I
regret it, and it's decidedly not a majority. It's not how I like to
work, however; I absolutely believe in giving my readers value for their
money - meaning new information and new photos in each book.

I cannot speak to the design or the title of this book. None of those
decisions are mine. I will say in defense of MBI and its design staff
that they created a book in tune with and stylistically in keeping with
other coffee-table style books that are selling now. MBI's goal is to
sell books. Honestly, too, we really believed you all would like the
large photos that this format allowed. And frankly, as my own aging
process advances, I don't mind a little extra white space.

It is my goal to provide you and other Deere enthusiasts with value for
money. I have to tell you that in my mind, this IS a major new work. If
you think I've failed, you all now have my e-mail address. Let me know.
If you do find that I've made factual mistakes in this book, I'd like to
know that, too. Please be specific and, if you would, tell me not only
what is wrong but what the correct information is and what your source
is. I value your experience and I will respect your comments.

We'll correct errors in the second printing. But if, after you finish
reading this book, Dean, you conclude that you hate it, let me know
that, too. Tell my why. If what you say makes sense to me, Dean, I'll
personally buy your book back.

In the meanwhile, I wish you happy holidays,     randy

Randy Leffingwell
writer/photographer
805-967-2953
New website - www.rleffingwell.com

Perhaps some problems with MBI's new layouts.....and the lack of text.

Re: [AJD] Disappointment: New JD Book-HOBBY BOOKS IN GENERAL