[AJD] Lead in fuel, rant, plea

Terry L. Hrdlicka th01209 at alltel.net
Mon Dec 13 16:40:31 PST 2004

All,

Now that this thread is dying down, I'll get out my poker and stir it up
a little.  The question of "old" gasoline vs "new" gasoline got me to
thinking.....

Back about 1978 or so, I bought a beat up old '66 Mustang with a 200
C.I. 6 banger.  The P.O. still had the owners manual.  I recall reading
in it that the engine was designed to run on "any regular gasoline with
an octane rating of 100 or more.  Higher priced premium gasoline is not
necessary...."  It struck me as funny (which is why I probably still
remember it), when I would fill up with the "new fangled" unleaded that
was getting to be the only thing you could find at the time, with an 87
or so octane.

I do remember going to the airport and buying 110 octane av gas for a
souped up 351 Cleveland in a Mach I at the outrageous price of $1.00 a
gallon when we were going to do a little Saturday night drag racing ;)

Anybody know what "regular, leaded" pump gas used to have for an octane
rating in the 50's, 60's and early 70's, before it got phased out due to
catalytic converters?  What was "ethyl" rated?

Just wondering if my memory is intact,

Terry