[Farmall] Tractor Hauling Trailer Recommendations

Brad Anderson classiccabinet at qwest.net
Mon Dec 13 17:42:12 PST 2004

In 99, I pondered the difference between ramps and a tilt bed. I choose the
tilt bed and for my application, it has worked out very well. (if one
remembers to grease the axel bearings)  (o:

4,000 lb axels were standard on the trailer I bought, but, I elected to go a
bit higher in cost and ratings, and bought 6,000 lb. axels with a GVWR of
10,000. ( It's licensed for 8,000 lbs, but, rated for 10,000. 17' bed. (The
feeling was that like a shop, it's never big enough for those unexpected
items)

 I looked very closely how the rear lights were protected as one goes up the
trailer. This one has 1/4 steel pipe welded to the frame and the lights are
mounted inside. This protects them if I'm loading something really tight,
and haven't lined it up correctly. (Those lights are also visible at night,
even when loaded, in my mirrors, so I can see there're working correctly)

The widest I could find was 85" between the fenders. With the tilt bed
however, I had to pay attention to the outside dimension of the tilt frame.
(only 751/2 inches there) If I put something on wider, I've got to pay
attention to where it'll sit when the tilt comes down, or I won't have
straight fenders any longer.

I've hauled a lot of "junk" home, so an 8,000 lb wench was mounted to the
tilt. The combination works out extremely well in that application. If for
no other reason than that, I'm pleased with the tilt over ramps.

My 2 cents
Brad A (ore)