[AJD] Lead in fuel, rant, plea

steve sewell sewell at oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Sun Dec 12 19:14:34 PST 2004

At 10:39 AM 12/11/2004 -0800, you wrote:
>I would be very, very surprised if there is any lead whatsoever in any
>of the fuel blends on the market today, aircraft or otherwise.

Steve: Most all piston aircraft require 100 octane low lead. You can buy it
at any airport around you. I have worked at the local airport for 16 years
and we have always sold it to the public in cans. We do have to put on the
sale ticket that it is "for off-road use only". As there is no road tax
charged in the price. We have a lot of racers (car and bike) buy it. Cost
is around $2.95 a gallon with the sales tax. They have talked for years
about doing away with it but that would ground the entire general aviation
fleet, as the engines require the lead. I do know that fewer refiners are
making it as we are down to two sources that our supplier can ship from.
Tractor note - It works well mixed with regular pump gas. (-;

- Steve

Steve Sewell
Albany, Ohio USA
sewell at atis.net