[AT] What is a Relay?

Phil Auten pga2 at hot1.net
Sun Dec 12 13:21:02 PST 2004

Ricky,
You wire the relay coil up to the light circuit and then use a heavy wire
through the relay contacts hooked to a fused 12V source
to run the lights. Then, when you turn on the lights, only the current for
the coil goes through the light switch. That is usually 1 Amp or less,
depending on the relay. Be sure to check the current draw of your trailer
lights, including the brake lights, and get a relay
with contacts that will handle at least 50% more than needed in case of a
problem. That way the fuse will blow and the relay won't melt or weld the
contacts.

Phil